At Twiss Green , it is our aim to ensure that all pupils:
read easily, fluently and with good understanding
develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Read to Write provides opportunity for high-quality teaching of writing through children’s high-quality literature (Vehicle Texts). The units of work centre on engaging, vocabulary-rich texts, with a wealth of writing opportunities.
Each class produces six pieces of extended writing a year following the process of immerse, analyse, plan and write. All six pieces of work are published to celebrate the high standard of writing. In addition to the six extended pieces of writing the children have numerous opportunities to do incidental writes linking to their vehicle text.
- Clear Sequential Episodes of Learning
- Example Texts (greater depth WAGOLL)
- Learning Objectives that link to the teaching sequence (Immerse, Analyse, Plan Write)
- Vocabulary Learning
- Contextualised Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation
- Sentence Accuracy Work
- Progressions Documents with Year Group Expectations
- Example Planning Format
- Wider Reading for the Wider Curriculum
- Explicit Links to the National Curriculum
- Is sequenced, coherent and progressive
- Uses language-rich texts for vocabulary teaching
- Includes all elements of comprehension, taught sequentially across an academic year
- Has a clear focus on the skills and strategies needed to be a proficient and confident reader
- Uses engaging texts to promote a life-long love of reading
- Includes poetry, non-fiction and fiction that enhances knowledge learning across the curriculum
Reading Plus is an online teaching program which is proven to improve children's reading fluency, comprehension and vocabulary.
The children complete an initial assessment which ensures that work is set at the correct level for them. They then read a range of texts within their level and answer comprehension question about what they have read. Special vocabulary tasks support them to increase their word knowledge.
Children in Year 5 and Year 6 use Reading Plus regularly in school and are also expected to access the activities at home.