At Twiss Green it is our intent to teach mathematics in a purposeful and engaging manner which will equip our children with a powerful set of tools to understand and change the world.
At Twiss Green it is our aim to develop:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- an ability to communicate mathematics
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
- an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment
Our pupils and staff love Maths and we work hard to promote Maths at Twiss Green. We have a dedicated Maths Week during Maths Week England and we aim to develop cross-curricular links, to encourage creativity and provide opportunities for pupils of all abilities. Have a look at our slide show to see how Maths is enjoyed throughout the school!
We have had a fabulous week taking part in Maths Week England 2021! The children have really enjoyed a wide variety of exciting, enjoyable and challenging activities, some of which you can see below.
White Rose Maths scheme:
At Twiss Green, we use the White Rose Maths scheme as our main resource for teaching a mastery approach for our curriculum. Below are the White Rose termly planning grids for your information. These can be used in conjunction with our knowledge organisers to provide a clear learning pathway in order for you to help your child on their mathematics learning journey with us.
- EYFS overview
- Year 1 overview
- Year 2 overview
- Year 3 overview
- Year 4 overview
- Year 5 overview
- Year 6 overview
- National Curriculum Progression Y1 - Y6
- Cross curricular maths overview
Information for parents
At Twiss Green, our teaching centres around fostering a love for, and confidence in, Maths through a creative, engaging and active curriculum using a mastery approach to teaching.
We welcome parental support to secure key Maths knowledge and skills in our pupils. Click on the links below for further information concerning the mastery teaching of Mathematics at Twiss Green, including a video of our recent Mathematics information evening. There are also links to some of the resources we use. Further information can be found on individual class pages on the website.
- TG Addition and Subtraction Calculation Policy
- TG Multiplication and Division Calculation Policy
- TG Mental Calculation Policy
Maths with Michael:
White Rose Maths have teamed up with TV presenter, teacher and parent Michael Underwood to bring you a mini-series called Maths with Michael. Many parents feel like maths has changed and can sometimes find it difficult to keep up to date with modern teaching methods in maths. Well don’t worry, we’re here to help. Episodes will give you an introduction to place value, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and algebra. Now sit back and enjoy!
Year group knowledge organisers:
Using these fantastic knowledge organisers will mean that you can provide support for your children while promoting independent working and learning in maths. As well as supporting the White Rose Maths scheme of learning which we use as our core resource at Twiss Green, these knowledge organisers link to core concepts in the national curriculum and help to develop mastery.